V0.99.9 HF4 - Quectel RM520N-GL in USB Sled

Good afternoon,
I’m on the latest X86 version of SmoothWAN, and I’ve noticed that USB modems in MBIM or QMI mode don’t seem to work like they did in previous versions. I know there was some work done in this latest release in regards to USB devices, but I need some guidance on how to set up a USB MBIM modem now. It looks like the changes worked great for Android tethering, it’s working perfect.

1 Like

To add some more info, it looks like the USB Modem in both MBIM and QMI modes is created as a “DHCP Client” interface automatically, and changing it to either “Modem Manager” or “QMI Cellular” doesn’t work.

1 Like

Hi, sorry about that, if you’re experienced enough with OpenWrt delete /etc/hotplug.d/net/99-usbnamer
NCM/QMI dongles are not officially supported by SmoothWAN.

Example in terminal:
rm /etc/hotplug.d/net/99-usbnamer

I’ll use a different form of detection in next release with a new UI.

1 Like

Note that if you use PBR, you need to add the interface name of the newly created profile in Supported Interfaces (Advanced tab).

I ran into this issue with M.2 modem (using usb interface). I deleted the auto generated dhcp interface, rebooted and then added a new ModemManager interface, giving it a metric and assigning to WAN firewall zone. I also had to fix the previously generated auto interface for a USB tethered android phone. Now it’s working correctly.

3 Likes

I’ll add the option for the automatic naming as optional, it is needed for PBR and for Speedify to remember WAN settings, but I guess this seems to be counter intuitive for many.

Thank you so much for this. I spent hours trying to figure out what was going on before finding this answer. Thank you!!!

Adding this next release:

1 Like

Option released in 0.99.5HF5.

@webmasterkai what are the pros / cons of choosing ModemManager as the Interface vs NCM vs QMI Cellular?

I’m currently using ModemManager, but I don’t really get any benefit in Luci from doing so, that I can tell.

Another OpenWRT Modem / Router Combo I have has the cellular signal strength on the Overview page / band locking options under the interface settings / etc.

Am I missing something?

@chansearrington is it the same as: LuCI JS APP: Luci-app-modemband (Set LTE bands for selected 4G modems) - Community Builds, Projects & Packages - OpenWrt Forum ?

I’m not aware of any default Luci benefit to one over the other. I just find the ModemManager works better with my device and hardware config. The firmware I’ve used that has an interface specific to LTE modems is ROOter https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com ROOter Autobuilds GitHub - ofmodemsandmen/RooterSource: Source for ROOter Build System

In my (in)experience I’ve noticed the following of ModemManager:
Pros:

• Provides a uniform and consistent interface to manage cellular modems regardless of the underlying hardware/software config. It’s used outside the OpenWRT project.
  • Supports a wide range of modems and protocols.
  • Supports auto-connection, SIM switching, SMS, and USSD.
  • Has good integration with NetworkManager which is the default network management tool on many Linux distributions.
  • Provides reception/connection quality, diagnostics and debugging information in the cli.

Cons:

• ModemManager can be more resource-intensive than other options.
  • Configuration and customization of ModemManager outside the basic UI provided may require more advanced technical knowledge.
1 Like

No, I don’t think so. I think this version that you linked to is actually better!

Apparently, that user/dev has a ton of great modem tools! I love the AT Command solution he has too.

All of his tools would be incredibly helpful in SmoothWAN, IMO.

Are these something you guys have planned?

1 Like

Here are some screenshots from the “Outdoor Router” that I purchased just for reference, but like I said, the stuff that you linked to is a lot better

1 Like

Outdoor Router looks pretty clean, not sure where the license is, regarding the 4IceG packages, they will be added if tested along with the tweaks to get it running.

1 Like

I don’t know if they license their OpenWRT image. They sell their own hardware at outdoorrouter.com

On the 4IceG stuff I’m more than willing to test. Just let me know when / where / how.

I’m available to test too, I have 2 modems I plan to have in USB Sleds (I have 3 total), EM160 and 2xEM12. I’ve used that luci-app-atcommands plugin with a base OpenWRT on my Convexa-B and it worked with some tweaking to the interface path was all IIRC.

1 Like