Would SmootWAN run on NanoPi R6S?

In searching for higher performance OpenWRT hardware I found this article SQM for 1 Gbps Lines W... | BookStack

Would SmoothWAN run on this hardware?

In there the 2022-12-06 update says recommended hardware NanoPi R6S

CPU: Quad-core ARM Cortex-A76(up to 2.4GHz) and quad-core Cortex-A55 CPU (up to 1.8GHz)
GPU: Mali-G610 MP4, compatible with OpenGLES 1.1, 2.0, and 3.2, OpenCL up to 2.2 and Vulkan1.2
NPU 6TOPs, supports INT4/INT8/INT16/FP16
RAM 64-bit 8GB LPDDR4X at 2133MHz

OS Support
FriendlyWrt 21.02
FriendlyWrt 22.03
Android 12 Tablet
Android 12 TV
FriendlyCore Lite 20.04
Debian 10 Desktop
Debian 11 Desktop
Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop
Linux-5.10-LTS
U-boot-2017.09

No built in wifi, but I use access points at home anyway.

Need to take a look at FriendlyWrt builds and test, I’m not familiar or have any FriendlyWrt device but it shouldn’t be difficult.
I should create another Speedify OpenWrt package with glibc for installation on pre-installed *Wrt, will post it here once done.

I’ve ordered an R6S. Should have it tomorrow.
Based on the supported OS list I should be able to make something work. SmoothWAN would be great though…

Will create a draft to test soon (source in branch).

What can I do to help?
I received the R6S today. I was able to get the base image (rk3588-sd-friendlywrt-22.03-20230412.img.gz) flashed just to make sure the device worked. I could try their ubuntu image so that I can just experiment with speedify in the meantime.

I did some testing with the ubuntu image running from an SD card.
My iptables is rusty, but I cobbled together enough to route some packets.
I installed AdGuardHome for dhcp and dns, and speedify.
There are three CPU groups the efficiency cores 0-3 and then two groups of the performance cores 4,5 and 6,7.
I enabled irqbalance and did some speed tests. 175Mbps over speedify.

This looks very promising. I use a netgear nighthawk wifi-6 mesh for access points. And don’t have any need for wifi-wan.

1 Like

The docker GitHub action builds from FriendlyWrt are useful, currently building one, created a testing thread on GH issues.

Cool. I need to learn about github actions.