Slate AX Speedify throughput test result by Amos@Discord

Version 0.99.8

wow, i can’t get more than 100mbits, still great and enouth for my projects, … maybe i have to change speedify servers… did u change any of the default speedify settings ?

Interesting, do you mind sharing your setup?

sure no problem with sharing data,

in: eth cable - DOCSIS (unbelievable) stable 300 down 50 up

• starlink &/ some stuff like 3g/4g/5g devices over usb/wifi/eth

~100 normal usage - peaked nearly 200 (down) / 100+ up

kind of unsorted of topic mixed long story:

sadly, no fixed setup now, just kind of experimenting

hardware/device: AXT1800, SW/image from github: OpenWrt 21.02-SNAPSHOT r16399+159-c67509efd7 / LuCI openwrt-22.03 branch git-21.284.67084-e4d24f0

using uplinks: [usually more than 1 :slight_smile: but not all at the same time normally, some problems with usb-hub&/power (not sure at the moment)]

• (sometimes) eth cable - starlink (old round) with (max around 300 down, 20-50 up)

• (usually) eth cable - DOCSIS cable with unbelievable stable 300 down 50 up

• (trying to get a final setup with) 1x to 3x usb emulated ethernet devices (CDC-Ethernet devices i guess) ztl/Huawei (depends on ISP/cell/contract utilization - 0-100 down/up)

• (trying to get a final setup with) 1x usb 4g/3g ncm Huawei device (depends on ISP/cell/contract utilization - 0-100 down/up)

(using lan as speed test client, or on directly on glx1800 or speedify stats)

speedify (13.1.0.10834) settings: default (mostly connected to Vienna/AT servers, because of my location)

but maybe my configuration or software setup is not optimal, installed to much extensions - no space left - trying to get sd card memory working ATM

finally setup should be portable - without eth uplinks, but other topic

sure that I can’t get that speeds with mobile connections (with that modems in that kind of city/district I’m right now) …

but still with both eth never got that numbers (speedify statistics: top download 142, top upload 133 :O)

…anyways not important for my project, just interesting to see that numbers at the same hardware (&software?), CPU load wasn’t to high or not on all cores of the ax1800) btw haven’t installed all opkg updates (because of memory problems) but sometimes I’ve seen speeds like 300 M bits (with speedify) on pc/mac - yeah and speedify support told me something that i have to use a dedicated server or something, not sure how – should read that mail again - or not included in team account guess - because i was trying to get 300mbit DOCSIS + 200mbit 5g + … down, no i wanted to get more upload - anyways too much text :smiley:

buts its speedify… should be connectedly or combinedly or stabilili :smiley:

depends on what are u trying to solve or to do - get 10mbits with 3 mobile connections or 2000mbits with 2 fiber connections

or redundancyly or uploadily, all off topic and sry 4 editing post but no structure in it, still, …

Thanks for the write up! it’s useful!
I’ll keep an eye on official OpenWrt support for the Slate/Flint which comes with a recent kernel ~6 years newer, and 64 bit with optimized crypto extensions. I managed to do 350-400Mbit with it.
Link: GL-iNet AX1800 new router - OpenWrt support? - #314 by radiomean - For Developers - OpenWrt Forum

The Wi-Fi and USB are currently an issue, and flashing it requires the recovery method, will post an update once it’s stable for use.

1 Like

Regarding SD card Ill add all the mounting utilities next release.
If the the official OpenWrt is stable enough you will have more package selection and kernel modules that are ready to install from official repos.

1 Like

thanks for the information :heart_eyes_cat:

I also have the Slate AX. Speeds on the Slate seem to top out 80Mbps. A cell phone connected to the same server can get 130+ at the same time of day. I’d love to know how to squeeze more out of the Slate AX, OR if a raspberry pi or an intel based solution would be better for ensuring top performance within the limits of the speedify server I’m connected to.

Speedify connections (normal kids network traffic)

Speedigy speed tests

With speedify disabled and still on the same Slate AX wifi. I did an ookla test on just the comcast

Cell phone same server with primary as cell carrier.

CPU and load on the Slate seem reasonable. Gap is netdata disabled for a speedtest. No significant change with netdata disabled.

htop during a speedtest (sorted on memory)

Interesting, does the speed increase with less WANs connected?

There was no appreciable change in speed after disconnecting the hotspots.

You may try using (single) TCP as protocol to see if it’s openwrt related, by default it’s auto and usually TCP Multiple is chosen or vice versa, you can click on one of the connections in Speedify UI, then click on the IP address, it will show the protocol used.

Was TCP (8), TCP (4), TCP (8).
Changed to Single TCP.
No difference in total throughput.
Changed back to Auto.

Odd, not sure why, I think the Amos record was done with 0.99.8.